Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Central Falls, Rhode Island

I've been waiting for something like what happened at this high school for a long time. I remember when I was in high school I wanted all the teachers fired too, but for altogether different reasons. After getting the details of the entire process I applaud the Superintendent for having the gumption to do this. I mean come on now. This school has ranked in the lowest 5 percent of school districts in Rhode Island year after year! This wasn't a one time thing! Over 50% of students drop out before graduation! Math proficiency numbers are an astounding 7%! So according to Federal law you have 4 choices when this happens:
  1. Close the school down,
  2. Turn it into a charter school,
  3. Follow a 'transformation' model with longer days and eating lunch with the kids, or
  4. Fire all the teachers and come up with what's called a turnaround plan.
Well presented with these options the union said everything was just peaches and cream and wanted no changes, including option 3 which seems pretty painless. That makes the choice pretty simple to me. Off with their heads! Of course the teachers are now saying "they gave their heart and soul to the students" and "I've been in this school for 28 years...". I assume that was as a teacher and not 28 years as a student. One teacher proudly noted that they raised their reading scores 21 percent in 2 years! That's good but what are the scores now, 22%? Well maybe you're all genuinely nice people and as well intentioned as anyone but as far as being teachers you apparently suck at it. But they can apply for teaching jobs in other districts after the current school year ends. Oh boy, I bet they'll be scooped up in a hurry!

No comments: