Thursday, January 22, 2009

Football Fans

I will readily admit that I am a pro football fan, following my home team faithfully and watching the games and paying attention any news about the team. I assume that I'm one of thousands and thousands of pro football fans that share the same enthusiasm for their favorite teams. However in watching the playoffs this year I noticed what seemed to be an inordinate number of people in the stands that were wearing team jersey's with what I assume was the number of their favorite player. There were also lots and lots of people in the stands with their faces (or more) painted with team colors, favorite numbers, clever sayings, etc. And I'm not even going to get started on the signs encouraging their team to kill the bad guys. The spirit these fans show is great. However these are middle aged and older men! College kids can get away with this stuff, usually because they're generously lubricated and well, it's college! Little kids all have their sports hero's and always want so-and-so's jersey for their birthday or Christmas or something. I have to laugh when I see men at the home improvement store wearing a Tom Brady jersey. I almost want to ask them "Do you think you are Tom Brady?" or "Are you hoping Giselle will walk down the aisle from the lumber department and think you're Tom and take you home with her?". If you're middle aged or more you don't play football any more unless it's with your kids in the back yard or your relatives at a summer reunion. I don't care who or what you were in middle school or high school or even college - it's OVER! If I tried to play right now there would be a loud snapping sound and somebody would have to sit on the ground with me until the paramedics arrived. I think it's great that you enjoy the game and support your team but unless you're an Oakland Raiders fan - don't dress up. We can see you and you won't like what we're thinking.

No comments: