Monday, December 8, 2008

The Current Economy

Doesn't it seem strange that the 3 CEO's of the major US auto companies, who are going to Washington with their hands out, make infinitely more money than you or I (unfortunately) will ever make and the welfare of thousands of ordinary people under their rule? They threaten the country by saying that if we don't give them millions and millions they may have to close down and toss many thousands of ordinary people out of work. Well, I don't know the exact figures but my guess is that if each CEO took some of the money he was paid to run his company into the ground and gave it out to the workers then things wouldn't be so bad for them at least in the short term. Like Wall Street how do we manage to reward people that essentially do lousy jobs with lots and lots and lots of money? It makes me want to go out and really screw something up just for the money! Remember when we rewarded a "good" job? Now these guys just get rewarded. If they happen to also do a good job then that's a bonus. And why are we buying out the insanely bad mortgages that banks wrote during the boom? If I bought a car and found out 6 months down the road that I really couldn't afford the payments could I just call my Senator and ask him to pay off the loan for me? That would be a funny phone call! Remember accountability? I know I'm going back a ways but is was pretty simple - you did something good and you got rewarded; you did something bad and you got punished. It was really simple and we all understood it. Hopefully this will be enough to get things started. But stay tuned because I have a LOT to say!

No comments: