Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Politics

Now that we've completed another election season and we're waiting for a new group to take the reins, I'm reminded of a few things that have always puzzled me about politics. For the most part politicians are charlatans. If they're talking to the school PTA then they ramble on about how they'll send more money to the schools. If they're talking at a VFW Hall they fill their address about how more money should be given to the veterans. Probably because we're wasting money on our schools. We all know this, yet some people absolutely gush when some guy or woman who's running for office goes out on a limb and states that "the sky is blue"! What a risky move that was. I didn't watch the conventions because it was laughable. People sitting in the audience with what my nephew the bartender calls a "perma-grin" on their faces and they absolutely go hysterical when the candidate proudly announces that 2 plus 2 equals 4. Do you have any idea how stupid you look? And in my mind I would be concerned that if I liked that candidate people would think I sit in my living room and drool and applaud whenever my candidate had a sound bite on the news. Disgusting.

And doesn't it puzzle you just a bit why a candidate would spend hundreds of thousands (or more) of their own money to get elected to a job that pays $35,000 a year? You don't need a math degree from MIT to know that this ain't a good deal! Therefore there must be something that we don't know about and that they don't want us to know about. Hmmmm.

I remember one day a long time ago when I came home from elementary school where we must have learned about the Presidency that day and I said to my father "Do you know that I could become President some day?". He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said to me "Why in the world would anybody want that job? You have the weight of the world on your shoulders and you have to deal with everybody's problems. You can make more money playing baseball." Isn't THAT the truth!

Another thing I wish the networks would do is when they show some politician talking about something they always show at the bottom "Joe Jones VT(R)". What about if we just left off the D, I or R? That way everybody could judge Joe Jones on what he actually said, not blindly agreeing or disagreeing with him based on that one letter. If I like what somebody recommends, then I like it whether he's a Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. It might actually open our minds a little bit.

No comments: